Labor & Employment
Sean D. Dias
Shana T. Don
Matthew J. Donohue
John G. Geppert, Jr.
Scott V. Heck
Paul A. Lieberman
Ramon E. Rivera
Alyssa K. Weinstein
It is indisputable that the challenges confronting business in the labor and employment arena will continue to become more substantial and complex. Scarinci Hollenbeck has developed and maintains the resources to address these significant and diverse challenges confronting our clients.
Scarinci Hollenbeck provides advice and counsel with respect to all matters regarding employer/employee relations. We frequently counsel our clients with regard to issues concerning contract negotiations, the administration of labor agreements, disciplinary proceedings, grievance and public sector interest arbitrations and employment discrimination matters. Our attorneys also provide general advice and counsel, and present seminars and training sessions, with regard to employment policies, employee manuals, reductions in force and the establishment of employment practices and preventive programs which minimize the potential for litigation.
We regularly conduct seminars and customized training sessions for management and employees. Our training has been effective in implementing and reinforcing internal company policies, emphasizing compliance with existing law, and setting the tone for the workplace environment. Just some of the sessions we have conducted includes avoiding harassment in the workplace, ensuring compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Open Public Records Act. Each training session given by Scarinci Hollenbeck is customized to include issues and concerns that are unique and important to each organization.
Areas of Service
Our attorneys are well versed in representing our employer clients in traditional labor law matters. These may include union organizing attempts, unfair labor practices, union grievance arbitrations and injunctive proceedings to halt unlawful strikes and illegal mass picketing. We have negotiated collective bargaining agreements in a variety of industries and with scores of unions, at both the employee and supervisory levels. We are equally experienced in representing our clients in matters involving individual contracts and early retirement agreements.
We counsel our clients on significant employment law matters involving the employer/employee relationship, such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA). When litigation proves to be the only means to resolve a conflict, our labor and employment law attorneys work closely with the Litigation Group to develop an effective strategy to protect our client’s interests.
- Defense of allegations of sexual discrimination and harassment, including successful representation of businesses and their management alleging acts of sexual misconduct brought by current and former employees.
- Defense of allegations of “Whistleblower” activity, including successful representation of business entities, governmental entities and their management alleging workplace harassment after alleged whistleblower activity.
- Defense of allegations of race and ethnic discrimination and harassment, including successful representation of a College, its president and upper management alleging race discrimination brought by a former faculty member.
- Defense of violations of federal American with Disabilities Act and state Law Against Discrimination.
- Represent employers against allegations of unfair labor practices and union grievances.
- Defend and prosecution allegations of breach of employment contracts, violations of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Conduct and coordinate internal investigations relating to allegations of harassment and whistleblowing activities.
- Conduct and coordinate internal investigations relating to allegations of employee theft and other employee criminal conduct.
- Defense of allegations of violations of ERISA.