Trademarks can be words, names or symbols or other subject matter used to identify and distinguish a company’s products or services from those of competitors and other businesses. Trademarks and service marks are essential to the brands and audiences that Scarinci Hollenbeck clients build.
Trademarks – Global Brand Managers
The success of your company is directly influenced by the strength of your brand. Our trademark attorneys ensure businesses grow and prosper by securing, maintaining, and enforcing their trademark rights across the globe.
Our trademark team offers trademark litigation, transactional, advisory, and portfolio management services and serves businesses across a wide array of industries. As such, we serve as a one-stop-shop for companies seeking to protect their brands around the world. Our core services include:
- Trademark Prosecution: We file trademark registration applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for both domestic and international trademarks.
- International Trademark Protection: By leveraging a highly networked group of colleagues and strategic IP tools, we provide clients with comprehensive trademark protection both in the U.S. and abroad. Our services include global brand protection strategies, as well as international trademark and service mark registration and enforcement. We have experience in jurisdictions across the world, including China.
- Trademark Counseling and Portfolio Management: We conduct trademark searches and advise clients in selecting company names, logos, and trademarks. We also manage extensive trademark portfolios for domestic and international clients, tailoring our strategies to the unique needs of each client.
- Trademark Enforcement: We enforce trademarks on all channels, including print and digital platforms. When required, our trademark litigators are prepared to immediately and aggressively respond to infringers. They have protected or defended cases involving major brands, and have successfully resolved disputes through alternative dispute resolution methods.
- Trademark Agreements: We negotiate and draft agreements involving trademark rights, including trademark license agreements and trademark assignments.
Our Trademark Attorneys in Action
Our attorneys have litigated a substantial number of cases before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. We have also successfully obstructed hundreds of infringers from selling counterfeit or unauthorized goods bearing our clients’ trademarks all around the world.
Below are a few examples:
- (Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO) Successfully fought in the Trademark Trials and Appeals Board to recover and secure federal trademark registration for the name for one of the founding rock bands from the 1950’s.
- (Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, USPTO) Represented numerous guitar manufacturers in one of the largest United States trademark oppositions to applicant’s registration for product configuration trademarks in three guitar body shapes. Successfully opposed Applicant’s registrations by proving that the body shapes were not distinctive and had become generic. No appeal was made to this precedential TTAB decision.
- (United States District Court, Central District of California) Successfully defended toy manufacturer in product configuration trademark infringement lawsuit by prominent toy manufacturer.