Roshan D. Shah is a distinguished litigator and trial attorney Mr. Shah has successfully tried cases to juries in federal and state courts. He has extensive experience in all facets of litigation and in a variety of forums, including federal and state trial courts, the New Jersey Appellate Division and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, and administrative agencies. He has represented multinational corporations, federal defense contractors, health care providers and public sector clients.
Prior Career as Deputy Attorney General
Immediately before joining Scarinci Hollenbeck, Mr. Shah served as a New Jersey Deputy Attorney General in the Division of Law, Corrections and State Police Section, where he gained valuable hands-on experience in litigation, defending public entities and employees in civil litigation. He defended against claims arising under the federal Civil Rights Act of 1871, the New Jersey Civil Rights Act, the Law Against Discrimination, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Conscientious Employee Protection Act, the Open Public Records Act, and the New Jersey Tort Claims Act. He also defended New Jersey’s Gun Control Law from Second Amendment challenges in both federal and state courts.
Bid Protest Litigation
Mr. Shah has experience litigating bid protests on behalf of clients before the Government Accountability Office (GAO). This type of litigation involves challenging contract awards, their exclusion from the competitive range, and assisting clients who in retaining awarded contracts. Most recently, he successfully defended a contract awarded to his client by the U.S. Army. To read about this case, see Matter of URS Federal Services, Inc.
Other Areas of Litigation
Mr. Shah has also has a wealth of experience in several other areas of litigation. Prior to working in government service, Mr. Shah worked as a defense attorney for pharmaceutical manufacturers in product defect cases. Some of the matters he handled arose from hormone replacement therapy products, second generation antipsychotics, gadolinium-based contrast agents, and pain-patch lawsuits. Mr. Shah has successfully represented landowners in class action lawsuits against the United States for claims under the National Trail Systems Act. He has also represented secured lenders in bankruptcy cases and commercial matters. In addition, he served as a faculty member for the New Jersey Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D. (2006)
- University of Miami, B.B.A, Political Science & Finance (2003)
- New Jersey (2010)
- New York (2010)
- Missouri (2007)
- Georgia (2006)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey (2010)
- Eastern District of Missouri (2009)
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals (2011)
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association – Member
- New Jersey Bar Association – Member
- Awarded the New Jersey Attorney General’s Award for Trial Excellence, 2015
- Received commendation by New Jersey Attorney General’s office for his efforts regarding recent litigation against the Division of State Police, 2015
- Recognized as a New Leader of the Bar (formerly 40 Under 40) by the New Jersey Law Journal in 2016 *