For many years, our land use, environmental and redevelopment attorneys have directed large, complex and challenging projects, including energy projects, through the maze of regulatory agencies that confront developers in New Jersey and the NY/NJ metropolitan region. If you are a developer evaluating whether to move forward with a new energy facility, such as a solar installation or wind project, our attorneys can identify necessary permitting, evaluate the likelihood of obtaining those approvals, and represent you in obtaining approvals.
Advising municipalities and school districts regarding the public contracting process for energy efficiency contracts, solar energy contracts and third party energy contracts.
The following are examples of our experience in dealing with projects in this area:
- We obtained New Jersey Board of Public Utilities' approval of a power purchase agreement that made one of the first landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the State economically viable. We also provided legal counsel in obtaining a grant from the BPU for another landfill gas-to-energy project. Our work resulted in the siting of these two projects and the sale of gas from a private landfill client for use as fuel. These facilities have a gross capacity of 4.8 MW and 9.4 MW respectively and, combined, they comprise the largest landfill gas-to-energy facility complex in the State.
- We represent a private company that is constructing a major electric energy conversion facility and transmission capability in multiple counties and municipalities in the State. We obtained numerous land use approvals, environmental permits, site remediation approval, right of way agreements, easement agreements and other necessary approvals and entitlements in connection with this project.
- We represent building owners and solar installation companies with respect to power purchase agreements.
- We provided legal counsel to a utilities authority in connection with (i) the sale of carbon credits generated by the authority's voluntary capture and destruction of the methane gas by-product of its landfill operation; and (ii) the construction and operation of a landfill gas-to-energy facility.
- We represented a major aggregate supply company as it converted its energy supply from diesel to electric to reduce air emissions and fuel consumption.
- We provide legal counsel to one of the largest recycling companies in the United States.
- We provide legal counsel to an innovative technology company engaged in conversion of vegetative waste to energy and fertilizer products.
- We participated in the implementation of a LEED initiative as part of the development of one of the largest commercial projects in New Jersey. We have obtained and are obtaining land use approvals for developers proposing LEED-certified or other Green buildings.
At Scarinci Hollenbeck, we see "Going Green" developments as opportunities for businesses, municipalities and school districts. Please contact us if you would like to discuss how we might work together to realize these opportunities in this challenging area.